The Kymin, Penarth 8198

Vale of Glamorgan, Wales

Brief Description

The site is located in a dell to the north of Beach Road, Penarth and varies in elevation from about 20 to 40 metres OD. Within the site is Kymin House, a two storey building dating from the late-1700s to early-1800s. The south elevation overlooks a lawn which afford views of the Bristol Channel, Penarth pier and the islands of Steep Holm and Flat Holm. The grounds around the house extend for nearly five acres up the hillside and are public open space.

History

The original domestic house was apparently first built between 1790 and 1810. The property was acquired by the Vale of Glamorgan Council after World War 2. The house fell into disrepair but was renovated before being taken over by Penarth Town Council in 1982. The house remains the property of the Vale of Glamorgan Council, whilst being run on a day-to-day basis by the Town Council.

Visitor Facilities

The house is available for whole or partial hire. Public events are also held here.

Terrain

Steeply sloping dell adjacent to the Bristol Channel.

Detailed Description

The site is located in a dell to the north of Beach Road, Penarth and varies in elevation from about 20 to 40 metres OD. Vehicular access is via the top gate off Beach Road alongside which is a parking area and the vehicular exit is via a lower gate. The site is bounded to the south by walls on Beach Road, by a public footpath up to Beach Lane and by Kymin Terrace in the west, by private grounds of property on Bradford Place to the north-east and by steeply sloping wooded sea cliffs to the east.

Within the site is Kymin House, a two storey building dating from the late-1700s to early-1800s. Adjacent to the front door of the house, which faces west, there is provision for disabled parking. The south elevation overlooks a lawn which afford views of the Bristol Channel, Penarth pier and the islands of Steep Holm and Flat Holm. The ground floor hall lets on to a kitchen, cloakroom, disabled toilets and three meeting rooms. Upstairs there are gents and ladies toilets and three further meeting rooms all of which are for hire from Penarth Town Council.

The grounds around the house extend for nearly five acres up the hillside and are public open space, though apparently these may also be hired for functions. At a slightly higher elevation than the house there are toilets, seating areas, an open sided shelter and Petanque Pistes, all with wheelchair access via a ramp. The upper grounds are partly grassed and partly wooded. The upper woods north of the house can be accessed via fairly steep un-metalled paths with steps. A sign has been erected at the top of this area close to the cliff edge which states "Danger do not enter due to cliff fall".

Detailed description added 22/05/2014

Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

The house is available for whole or partial hire. Public events are also held here.

Directions

From Penarth Town centre take Beach Road which is a steep hill down to Penarth Esplanade and beach. The Kymin is just before the bottom of the hill on the LHS. Cardiff Bus 89B stops at Penarth Pier.
History

Detailed History

In the 13th century the site may have been a farm called Worbeys Fote, but by the 17th century the site was a farm known as Kimmin (still referred to as 'Kimming' on the 1847 Tithe map). The original domestic house was apparently first built between 1790 and 1810 and was certainly occupied by a retired Irish army captain (38th Regiment) John Minchin and his wife Charlotte between 1841 and 1853 (when John died). The house was rebuilt in the 1870s and the tenancy was taken over by James Sidney Batchelor J. P., a timber merchant/commission agent from Newport, Monmouthshire (one of the 6 Batchelor brothers), who resided there up to at least 1901.

The property was acquired by the Council after World War 2. The house fell into disrepair but was renovated before being taken over by Penarth Town Council in 1982.

It has been recently suggested (Penarth Daily News 24 Jan 2014) that it could be used for a floodlit outdoor gymnasium.

Detailed history added 22/05/2014