Kilgetty 1915

Pembrokeshire, Wales

Brief Description

Kilgetty has the remains of the structure of a pleasure garden and small deer park which probably date from the first half of the 17th century,

History

The mansion was built either by Thomas Canon, who bought the estate in 1620, or his nephew Morris, who died in 1655. The gardens were laid out at the same time, with later modifications in the 1720s. It was extant in 1743 but abandoned in the mid-18th century.

Features

Style

  • Formal
  • Farm (featured building)
  • Description: The mansion was demolished in the 19th century. The principal building now is comprised of outbuildings to the old mansion, which have been converted into a farm.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Park Wall
  • Description: Enclosed deer park.
  • Planting
  • Description: Walled pleasure garden, of formal design.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Garden Terrace
  • Description: There are two terraces.
  • Summerhouse
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Fountain, Pond
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Kilgetty/Begelly
History

Detailed History

The remains of the mansion, built in the mid- or late-17th century, were demolished in the mid-19th century. To the east of the garden are the ruins of a classical summer house of some sophistication with a later belvedere tower. There is archival evidence that the gardens were once ornamented with parterres, water features and statues.
Contact

Telephone

01443 336000

Official Website

Click Here
References

References