High Hall, Wimborne 3849

Cranbourne Chase, England, Dorset, East Dorset

Brief Description

Several of the original garden features are now lost. However, the site has a complex of house, walled garden and stabling, and the parkland retains significant 19th century planting.

Detailed Description

There is a visually powerful complex of house, walled garden and stabling. The parkland retains significant 19th century planting. There is also evidence of a decoy pond recorded on the 1742 map and extended in the 1840s. The current condition is fragile.
Features
  • House (featured building)
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Tree Avenue, Stable Block
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Cranborne
History

Detailed History

High Hall was built around 1666. It was originally attached to the Bankes' estate, and was linked visually to Kingston Lacy by a tree-lined avenue, the remains of which can be seen today. There are substantial archaeological survivals of the late-17th and early-18th century landscaping, including evidence of a T-shaped canal.

Edward Gibbon, visiting in 1762, refers to a cascade. Nicholas Pearson Associates comment in July 1995 that 'the reference to a cascade is curious.....the 1742 map in the Banks' collection appears to show fields almost enclosing High hall and no obvious waterworks or water course other than the River Allen itself.' It is therefore likely that the cascade in the garden referred to by Gibbon was either a feature associated with the formal canal, now lost, or more probably part of a fountain structure.

References

References