Henrietta Park, Bath 1692

Bath, England, Bath and North East Somerset

Brief Description

Henrietta Park is a municipal park laid out in about 1897.

History

Seven acres of land were transferred to the ownership of the City on 22nd June, 1897. A park was laid out by Councillor J.W. Morris.

Visitor Facilities

This is a municipal park for general public use.

Terrain

Flat

Detailed Description

Henrietta Park is laid out on a flat site of irregular shape. It can be entered from several different points. Metalled footpaths lead across and through the park. A circular footpath is laid out in the centre. Much of Henrietta Park is open grass but it is well planted with diverse trees, many now mature. In the western side of the park a small area has been laid out as a scented garden for the blind.

Henrietta Park is maintained by the Leisure and Tourist Services Department of Bath City Council. The grass is cut regularly and the park is kept clean and tidy.

Features
  • Planting
  • Description: Scented gardens.
Pond, Fountain
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

This is a municipal park for general public use.

History

Detailed History

The site of Henrietta Park has long been open land, marshy and low-lying. Seven acres of this land were transferred to the ownership of the City on 22nd June, 1897. A park was laid out by Councillor J.W. Morris. Contemporary photographs show that there were some mature trees already on the site. Other trees have since been planted. A small area of the park was laid out as a memorial garden to George V in 1937. This area was re-designed as a garden for the blind in the 1950s.

References

References