Gwysaney 1565

Soughton, Wales

Brief Description

Part of the landscape park at Gwysaney was a 17th-century deer park, and has some contemporary walling and trees, including magnificent sweet chestnuts. The park is now permanent pasture with isolated trees. There is a fine 19th-century arboretum with many unusual mature specimen trees and a garden layout dating from the 19th and early-20th centuries, with several enclosed formal gardens.

History

A deer park was enclosed in the mid-17th century. In 1821 Philip Davies-Cooke inherited a neglected estate and restored it, planting thousands of trees and probably creating the basic garden layout that survives today. A further stage of garden development took place in the early-20th century.

Features
  • House (featured building)
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Ironwork
  • Description: A wrought iron gate leading to the arboretum and another gate and screen between the south garden and the east terrace.
  • Tree Feature
  • Description: An arboretum started in about 1820 with a mixture of coniferous and deciduous trees, including several rare specimens such as a spreading form of the Luccombe Oak.
  • Earliest Date:
Icehouse, Ha-ha, Garden Terrace
Contact

Telephone

01443 336000

Official Website

Click Here
References

References