Gillibrand Hall 5433

Chorley, England, Lancashire, Chorley

Brief Description

Features of Gillibrand Hall include a walled garden, a drive and a moat.

History

Gillibrand Hall was originally known as Chorley Hall and then as Lower Chorley Hall to distinguish it from another hall of that name, the home of the de Chorley family. In 1583 the Gillibrand family leased the hall from Stanley, Earl of Derby and by 1628 had purchased the estate with Thomas Gillibrand becoming one of the more considerable landowners.

Detailed Description

Gillibrand Hall has a walled garden, a drive and extensive woodland plantations. There is also a moat and a lake. Gillibrand Hall has parkland planted with specimen trees. Some 200 metres from the Hall is Gillibrand Hall Barn with a date stone of 1669. It is Grade II* listed and is a fabulous example of a barn with living quarters above.

Features
  • Moat
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Ornamental Lake
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Plantation
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Garden Wall
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Drive
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Manor House (featured building)
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Building
  • Description: Gillibrand Hall barn is a dressed sandstone building of 5 bays with a stone slate roof.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
History

Detailed History

Gillibrand Hall was originally known as Chorley Hall and then as Lower Chorley Hall to distinguish it from another hall of that name, the home of the de Chorley family. In 1583 the Gillibrand family leased the hall from Stanley, Earl of Derby and by 1628 had purchased the estate with Thomas Gillibrand becoming one of the more considerable landowners. The estate was inherited by Thomas Gillibrand who, in 1807-8 demolished the original hall, building the present edifice in its place. He had by this time become the sole Lord of the Manor. He died in 1828 leaving a son and heir Henry Hawarden Gillibrand. His son, Henry, died without issue, the inheritance going to a daughter, Matilda Harriet who, in 1863 married Jocelyn Tate Wesby. The manor was sold in 1874 to the Chorley Commissioners.

In 1881 the Hall and 250 acres of park and woodland was purchased by Henry Rawcliffe who was in the brewing business. The family was related through marriage to John Sumner who operated Haigh Brewery at Haigh, Wigan. Henry Rawcliffe had, in 1878, been living at Euxton Hall, Chorley. His sons, William Sumner Rawcliffe and Augustus Walter Rawcliffe, also worked in his brewing business. These two brothers lived in very large homes adjacent to the Haigh Brewery, Haigh House and Culraven respectively.

Henry Rawcliffe died in 1907 leaving a will probated of £135,366. Augustus took over the business. His brother William died in Wellington, New Zealand, after committing suicide on 13th March, 1903, by poisoning. He had gone there alone about 1900 having developed alcoholic tendencies. His estate was valued at £1. His wife Bessie died in 1912 and Augustus in 1913. Gillibrand Hall was now empty.

In the 1890s the congregation of the Sisters of Sagesse left France for England. In 1914 the were invited to Chorley. Their work with the community was highly respected and in 1918 they were approached about caring for the mentally handicapped. Urgent repairs were carried out at Gillibrand Hall and on the 4th April, 1918 they moved in. By 1929 their care of these special charges was highly regarded and the Hall received Government approval for the care of 40 mentally handicapped adult females. (www.stmarys-Chorley.org) The Hall is still is still in use to this day (January, 2014) being used as a care home for the elderly. Little of the grounds remain. The vast majority is now covered by housing.

References

Contributors

  • E. Bennis and J. Dyke

  • Mike Topping