The hall consists of five bays over three floors with the ends bays having five-sided bay windows. The surrounding landscape is now a golf course.
The Hall O'th' Hall estate was in the Asshawe (Shaw) family since around 1190 and an earlier hall was said to have been on the nearby moated site now occupied by Bretters Farm. A map (?1854) shows the hall in the current position but nearby it shows a moated site with the legend 'old hall' and Bretter's Farm adjacent. The estate was home to Chorley Golf Club in 1898 but the club moved to the Astley Hall Estate, Chorley soon after. The 9 hole course was looking to expand and in 1925 purchased the Hall and Estate in 1925. Extensions have been added in recent years.
Visitor FacilitiesPublic footpath passes through the car park adjacent to the Hall. Otherwise, this is a private Golf Club, visitors by arrangement only.
- House (featured building)
- Description: The current building was built by Thomas Willis in 1724 on an elevated site replacing a much larger hall that had faced South. This building has magnificent views over South Lancashire, North Cheshire and the West Pennines Moors to the North. The building consists of 5 bays over 3 floors with the ends bays having 5 sided bay windows. It is constructed of coarser sandstone with quoins to the corners and bay windows. It has a slate roof with projecting eaves. There are 2 chimney clusters on the roof. A rainwater trough to the front of the Hall is dated 1723.
- Earliest Date:
- Latest Date:
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsPublic footpath passes through the car park adjacent to the Hall. Otherwise, this is a private Golf Club, visitors by arrangement only.
DirectionsThe entrance is on the A673 some 50 yards from its junction with the A6.
- Heath Charnock