Search for the name, locality, period or a feature of a locality. You'll then be taken to a map showing results.

Earsham Hall

Earsham Hall is one of the finest country mansion houses in Norfolk. It has a rich and varied history dating back in part to the 15th Century.On the evidence of old maps, Earsham Hall formerly consisted of three long timber-framed buildings set at right angles to each other. Two of these remain today, although both were faced in brickwork in the early 17th century. The Hall was known to have an extensive Deer Park surrounding it from early times. The first owners on record were the Throckmorton family and then Robert Gooch. It then passed to Leonard Gooch (probably his son) and finally to Leonard's daughter Ann. Ann married a gentleman called John Buxton who was an amateur architect and in 1707 to 1710 he built the Queen Anne block (extension!) adjoining the much earlier building. The brick fa├žade was added after this so the Hall looked more in keeping with its different parts.
Visitor Access, Directions & Contacts

Telephone

01986-893868
Features & Designations

Designations

    Key Information

    Open to the public

    Yes