Cransley Hall 7108

Kettering, England, Northamptonshire, Kettering

Brief Description

The 16th century manor house stands north-east of the church, with gardens on the south side above a small brook here expanded into two large fish-ponds with an interconnecting bridge. There is terracing in front of the house with flower beds and statuary, stables, a walled garden, boathouse, ice-house and a footbridge between the ponds.

History

Formerly a medieval manor house with fish-ponds enclosed a very similar shape to the present Cransley Hall site. The hall was built in 1677 by Henry Robinson and the ornamental grounds were enlarged in the 19th century. The 1st edition Ordnance Survey map of the 1880s indicates stables, a walled garden, boathouse, icehouse and a footbridge between the ponds.

Features

Style

  • Informal
  • Country House (featured building)
  • Description: Medieval house of 1598 incorporated into Cransley Hall 1677 with further additions in 1708 and 1880.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Urn
  • Description: Bulbous urn with heavy floral swags lying 5 metres south of south west corner of hall.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Terrace, Boat House, Icehouse, Rustic Bridge, Ornamental Pond, Kitchen Garden, Stable Block
Access & Directions

Directions

From Kettering take A43 to Broughton then take right turning to Cransley
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Cransley
History

Period

  • Tudor (1485-1603)
References

References

Contributors

  • Adrian Smith

    1