Chepstow Park 6732

Deveauden, Wales

Brief Description

There is a park boundary wall of local comglomorate stone of varying sizes. There are probably six medieval entrance points. The circular earthwork near the centre of the park is believed to be the remains of the park lodge, and a platform structure exactly one mile to the east of it is interpreted as evidence for a deer course probably established in the 1630s. It is now managed for commercial forestry.

History

Records show that Roger Bigod, fifth earl of Norfolk (1245-1306) gained Chepsow castle, and its lands. He created a New Park at this location. In the 1630s the then owner, fifth earl of Worcester, of Raglan Castle enclosed the park with a drystone wall and stocked it with deer.In the 19th century a reservoir was created in the park. In the 20th century it was forested by the Forestry Commission.

Features
  • Boundary Wall
  • Description: There is a park boundary wall of local comglomorate stone.
  • Earthwork
  • Description: The circular earthwork near the centre of the park.
Contact

Telephone

01443 336000

Official Website

Owners

  • The Forestry Commission

    Forestry Commission Wales, Victoria Terrace, Aberystwyth, SY23 2DQ
References

References