Search for the name, locality, period or a feature of a locality. You'll then be taken to a map showing results.

Chenies Manor House and Gardens (also known as Chenies Palace)

Introduction

Chenies is a 15th-century manor house set in formal gardens of Tudor origin. The current layout of the gardens is largely the work of the present owners.

The present gardens have been much remodelled by the present owners, and are divided into a number of compartments. These include:
  • the sunken garden
  • the white garden
  • the south border
  • the rose gardens
  • the inner court
  • the physic garden
  • the parterre and yew maze
  • the kitchen garden with orchards and penitential maze

The main seasonal plantings are for spring and summer.

Visitor Access, Directions & Contacts

Access contact details

Opening from: 10th April 2023.

Open on the following days:

Mondays: 2.00pm – 5.00pm

Tuesdays: 2.00pm – 5.00pm

Owners

Elizabeth MacLeod Matthews

History

Chenies Manor, once known as Chenies Palace, has existed on this site since the 11th century. The core of the present house dates back to about 1460, with later additions.

The gardens have been substantially remodelled in recent years by the present owners.

Associated People
Features & Designations

Features

  • Manor House (featured building)
  • Description: The core of the present house dates back to about 1460, with later additions.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Hedge
  • Maze
  • Herbaceous Border
Key Information

Type

Garden

Purpose

Ornamental

Principal Building

Domestic / Residential

Survival

Reconstructed

Open to the public

Yes

Civil Parish

Chenies

References

References