The Vache 5746

Chiltern, Buckinghamshire, England, Buckinghamshire, Chiltern

Brief Description

Once a medieval hunting park, The Vache became a landscaped park during the 17th century. The gardens feature a ha-ha. In 1780, a memorial was built in memory of Captain Cook.The present building is the result of 18th-century modifications made to the manor house.

History

The de la Vache family owned the original manor house during the 11th century. The Vache later became home to Admiral Sir Hugh Palliser in 1777 and it was Palliser who commissioned the memorial to Captain Cook, his friend, in 1780.During the later half of the 19th century, The Vache was used for pheasant shooting.

Features
Ha-ha
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Chalfont St.
References

References