Chandos Lodge 6614

Eye, England, Suffolk, Mid Suffolk

Brief Description

This is a mid- to late-20th-century garden imposed on an earlier 19th century garden. There are remnants of an orangery, a pond, a small 20th-century folly, and a serpentine boundary wall leading to Lambseth Street.

History

The house is thought to have been built and called Chandos Lodge after the Duchess of Chandos died in 1813. The house appears on the 1840 Tithe Map. It is thought that the garden was first created at the beginning of the 19th century and was modified in the mid-20th century by other owners and specifically by Frederick Ashton.

Features

Style

  • Formal
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Eye
Associated People

People associated to Chandos Lodge