Edgeworth Manor 6118

Stroud, England, Gloucestershire, Cotswold

Brief Description

The gardens and park at Edgeworth Manor date from the mid-19th century and are associated with an earlier house built originally in 1685. The garden terrace has stone pillars with ball finials, wrought iron gates and sundials.

History

Nathaniel Ridler built the house in about 1685. A lime avenue led to the main entrance at this time. The park and gardens were laid out in the mid-19th century when alterations were made to the house after it was bought by Edmund Hopkinson in 1832.

Features
  • Stable Block
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Dovecote
  • Description: Incorporated into stable block.
  • Gate
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Gate
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Gate
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • House (featured building)
  • Description: Mainly 17th-century, remodelled in the mid-19th century and enlarged and remodelled in about 1882 by Capel N Tripp.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Sundial, Garden Terrace, Lake, Orangery
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Edgeworth
History

Period

  • Victorian (1837-1901)
Contact
References

References

Contributors

  • Gloucestershire Gardens & Landscape Trust