Came House 3851

Dorchester, England, Dorset, West Dorset

Brief Description

Came House includes substantial developments between 1750 and 1820, and of 1820 -1880. Many of these features are still relatively intact. There has been continuity of ownership, and it is currently lived in as a family home.

History

Came House was built by John Damer in 1754.

Detailed Description

The boundary plantations and woodland plantings remain virtually unchanged from the 19th century. A comparison between the 1903 Ordnance Survey map and recent aerial photographs confirms the degree of continuity.
Features
  • House (featured building)
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Conservatory
  • Description: This is a cast iron conservatory.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Winterborne Came
History

Detailed History

Came House is a substantially surviving 18th and early 19th century park, forming the setting for a mid-18th century house. The house was designed by Francis Cartwright of Blandford. The house is also noted for its cast iron conservatory dated to around 1840.
References

References