Bunkershill is one of a series of early-20th-century villas constructed to the west of North Berwick.
Constructed in 1904, Bunkershill and its designed landscape remain intact and have been unaffected by later development.
Designed by Sir Robert Lorimer, Bunkershill was constructed in 1904. Unlike the neighbouring properties of Carlekemp and Westerdunes, also built around this time, the layout of the Bunkershill designed landscape has survived to the present day, unaffected by subsequent development.
Further details about Bunkershill are available on the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historic Monuments of Scotland website:
1. MAPPED SOURCES
Unless otherwise stated all maps referenced are from the online National Library of Scotland Map Collection
Ordnance Survey Second & Subsequent Editions 25 inch to 1 mile Sheet 002.11 Revised circa1906 Published 1907
1998 map in the Knight Frank Sales particulars
2. PRIMARY & DOCUMENTARY SOURCES
Royal Commission for Ancient and Historical Monuments Scotland
Lorimer Archive Plans for mason work, loggia, forecourt & terrace, walls 22 Feb 1905 LOR N/10/1 – LOR N/10/9
North side of house and garden EL 3808
View from south-east 1975 EL 6994
Lodge House 1975 EL 6993
House entrance RAB 207/47
House and garden RAB 207/7
Composition stone RAB 207/75
Urn on plinth RAB 207/77/1
19th century lead fountain under boy in front of house steps RAB 207/77/2
Front of house 1904-07 RAB 424/OP39/8
3. HISTORICAL ILLUSTRATIONS & PICTORIAL SOURCES
Oblique Aerial View of Bunkerhill House taken from the South-East 1 June 2012
DP135086 RCAHMS Aerial Photography Digital
4. BIBLIOGRAPHY OF PUBLISHED SOURCES
McWilliam, Colin The Buildings of Scotland: Lothian (1978)
Savage, Peter Lorimer and the Edinburgh Craft Designers (1980) Paul Harris Publishing pp 91,174
Catalogue: Sale of House Contents, Philips (1991) Ab78.4 RCAHMS
Sales Particulars, Ryden 1991 D7.13 BUN(S) RCAHMS
Sales Particulars, Knight Frank 1998 D7.13 BUN(S) RCAHMS
- Villa (featured building)
- Earliest Date:
- Latest Date:
- Access & Directions
DirectionsApproximately 1 kilometre west of the town of North Berwick.
- North Berwick West
Detailed HistoryIn November 1904 Robert Craig, a Victorian paper merchant, of the Moffat Paper Mills in Airdire purchased the land from the Ferrygate estate owned by Mrs Nisbet Hamilton Oglivy of Belhaven and Dirleton. Robert Lorimer built a house in the Tudor style out of local sandstone from Dirleton Quarry. It was named Bunkershill after the 5th hole on North Berwick Golf course.The three villas Westerdunes, Carlekemp and Bunkershill in Abbotsford Road, all by different architects, yet built in the same decade of the 20th century form a group of Tudor-style houses of significance. Bunkershill is the only one of the three which remains unaffected by later development and its landscape and original site is unaltered.In 1921 the then American owner, an architect, bought and re-christened the house Bunkerhill after the American War of Independence. In 1980 Mr and Mrs Martin, only the third owners, put the ‘S’ back into the house name. The house was purchased by the current owners in 1991.
- Early 20th Century
- Associated People
Just one person associated to Bunkershill
Margaret Kinnear, East Lothian Gardens & Designed Landscapes Recording Project under the auspices of the Garden History Society in Scotland