Bishop's Palace, Abergwili (also known as Abergwili Palace)6620

Carmarthen, Wales

Brief Description

The Carmarthenshire County Museum is housed in the former palace of the Bishops of St. David's (1542 - 1974), an old building which has been in continuous use since about 1290, surrounded by lawns, gardens and trees and bordered by a lake which was formerly part of the River Tywi. A new house for the Bishop, built in 1978, occupies part of the site.

History

A college of bishops occupied Abergwili palace since the 16th century. The ruinous earlier building was incorporated into a 19th-century structure, simplified after a fire in 1903. In 1978 the old palace became the County Museum, and the grounds are maintained. There is an octagonal lodge (1802) by John Foster, and his Tudor Gate has been moved from the adjoining position.

Visitor Facilities

The museum is currently closed whilst repairs to the roof take place; they hope to reopen in early 2021.
The grounds however remain open to the public and the Tywi Gateway Trust will continue to provide opportunities for visitors and volunteers as it restores the park and walled kitchen garden.

Features
  • Lake
  • Description: Created from an Oxbow lake formed by the meander of the River Tywi.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Gate Lodge
  • Description: An single storey octagonal lodge by John Foster, now in poor condition, adjoins a disused exit to the road.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Gateway
  • Description: The drive passed through a Tudor style gateway by John Foster. This has been moved from its original position and incorporated into a verandah.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

The museum is currently closed whilst repairs to the roof take place; they hope to reopen in early 2021.

The grounds however remain open to the public and the Tywi Gateway Trust will continue to provide opportunities for visitors and volunteers as it restores the park and walled kitchen garden.

Directions

The museum is in the village of Abergwili, approximately 1 1/2 miles east of Carmarthen, on the A40 (towards Llandeilo).

Associated People
Contact
References

References

Contributors

  • Caroline Palmer