Paxton's Tower (also known as Nelson's Tower)6765

Llanarthney, Wales

Brief Description

Paxton's Tower is a three-storey tower built in military gothic style. It was set in grassland and approached by a carriage drive. By 1831 a small lodge was built south-west of the tower.

History

The tower was built by Sir William Paxton as an eyecatcher on the summit of the escarpment overlooking the Tywi valley and as a banqueting house for his own use. It was built to commemorate Lord Nelson's victories, and also to reprove the local community for its failure to elect Paxton as MP. Money which he had promised, if elected, to spend on a much-needed bridge, was instead diverted to this massive tower.

Visitor Facilities

The tower is open daily and admission is free.
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

The tower is open daily and admission is free.

Directions

The car park is at the south-west corner of the site. It is signposted from the B4300 Capel Dewi to Llanarthney road.
History

Detailed History

The sale catalogue of Middleton Hall in 1824 reads:

'A Gothic Tower, Erected by the late liberal-minded Possessor, in Commemoration of our Noble Hero, Lord Nelson; A grand Ornament and Land Mark in the County. On the Ground Floor, Three Spacious Lofty Arches for the Admission of Carriages, On the Principal Story, A Banqueting Room, with Gothic Ceiling; A Boudoir and Closet, over which A Prospect Room or Observatory, with Turrets, Three of the Windows are fitted with Stained Glass, One Window representing his Lordship, the others emblematical of his Fate, From which there is a Panoramic View, of a grandeur and extent that may justly be said to stand unrivalled. On the upper Part a Lead Flat, and Two Entrance Lodges.'

Associated People

Just one person associated to Paxton's Tower

Contact

Telephone

0844 800 1895

Official Website

Click Here

Other websites

Owners

  • National Trust

    Heelis, Kemble Drive, Swindon, SN2 2NA
References

References