Belsay Estate, Terraces 3777

Belsay, Northumberland, England

Brief Description

The Terraces are located on the south side of Belsay Hall. The upper terrace has grass lawns and provides a view of the lake, which is not available on the lower terrace. The lower terrace is reached by steps. It has a formal layout of gravel paths with deep borders and raised beds, edged with stone kerbs. The garden is planted with shrubs and herbaceous perennials. It has been partially reconstructed although many of the original plants remain.

History

Sir Arthur Middleton created the Terraces around 1900. The garden fell into disrepair during World War 2 but German prisoners-of-war helped to bring them back under control in about 1944. During the late 20th century the gardens were partially reconstructed to look as they did in Country Life in 1940.

Visitor Facilities

www.english-heritage.org.uk/server/show/nav.13030
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

www.english-heritage.org.uk/server/show/nav.13030
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Belsay
History

Period

  • Early 20th Century (1901-1932)
Associated People
Contact
References

References