Barton Manor 6219

East Cowes, Isle of Wight, England

Brief Description

Barton Manor is a well preserved example of a simple Victorian garden layout with Edwardian additions. The garden provides a setting for Barton Manor House which is a Grade II listed building. The main significance of the garden is its historic association with the Royal family and the probable influence of Prince Albert on the garden design.

Visitor Facilities

Open June to September, weekends only. 01 983 292835. Please telephone to check opening times.

Detailed Description

Barton Manor is situated in an elevated position to the south of Osborne House, with views to the Solent over coastal woodland. Formerly part of the Royal Osborne Estate extending eastward to Kings Quay, the house was used as guest house and annexe to Osborne.

The present gardens were designed by Prince Albert and extended by Edward VII, who built terraces and a walled kitchen garden (Winter 1984). Notable trees planted by Prince Albert include Cupressus Lambertiana on the lawn to the north of the house.

Additional works following the sale of the site in 1922 were noted in the following article:

In 1924 no less than 225,000 daffodils were planted around the lake... There is also a secret garden planted with azaleas and roses, impressive herbaceous borders and a productive vineyard [This was no longer in operation when the site was surveyed in 1999, but has since been revived]. In 1968 Hilliers laid out an intriguing water garden on what was originally Queen Victoria's skating rink. The NCCPG's National Collection of red hot pokers (kniphofia) and watsonia are kept here. The most recent addition to the estate is an original hedge maze [planted with Leylandii and created in about 1994].

(Good Gardens Guide 1996)

Features

Style

  • English Landscape Garden
  • Hedge
  • Maze
Lawn, Flower Bed, Parterre, Specimen Tree, Fountain, Lake
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

Open June to September, weekends only. 01 983 292835. Please telephone to check opening times.

Directions

On the A3021, 0.5 miles beyond Osborne House.
History

Detailed History

The site known as Barton Manor originated in the medieval period. It was originally the site of an Augustinian oratory or priory founded in 1275, and suppressed in 1439 (Victoria County History 2 1903). The site is believed to have been moated round with a drawbridge and a church, now converted into a barn (Isle of Wight County Record Office Oglander M.S.S.).

After 1439 the land passed to Winchester College. It was later leased by Robert Pope Blachford in 1785 and by Queen Victoria and Prince Albert in 1844. It was purchased by Victoria and Albert in 1853.

The site is featured on the following historic maps: shown on map and occupier named (Andrews 1769). Shown on map (Worsley 1781).

A survey of Barton (with attached plan) was made by Winchester College in 1776 and includes references to a 'Mansion House', and 'Pleasure grounds & Wilderness' (Winchester College Manuscript 21313).

Ponds to the south of the house do not appear to be shown on the Ordnance Survey map of 1793.

The site is shown as "Park" on the Ordnance Survey 6" map of 1909.

The estate passed out of royal hands in 1922.

References

References

Contributors

  • Isle of Wight Gardens Trust

    1