An early Victorian town square garden, opened to the public in the late 20th century.
Vernon Square is situated in Ryde to the south of Melville Street with George Street to the west.
Vernon Square is a rectangular open space 260 feet by 45 feet (80 metres by 14 metres), bounded by three storey Regency and Victorian properties. It was originally a private space forming the front garden of Vernon House (Listed Grade II), built in about 1830. At some stage this space was occupied by a tennis court. During the First World War the space was used for allotments, and the original railings were removed for the war effort.
In 1986 the Vernon Square Preservation Society purchased the Square which had become derelict. In 1988 Vernon Square was cleared, revealing a well, paths, steps and a pergola. New trees, shrubs and seats were provided. The Square has been re-enclosed with metal railings. There is now public access to Vernon Square.
- Visitor Access, Directions & Contacts
Access contact details
A town square garden open to the public.
- Key Information
Open to the public