Ballamooar 218

Isle of Man, Isle of Man

Brief Description

When the site was laid out, there was extensive planting, which extended across the road up a glen. Roadside walls were built in 1753. Other features included an enclosed orchard with frames and a mount (perhaps burial mound) with a banqueting house. There were also stone eagles and pineapples for gatepiers (brought from Bath in 1758) and a sundial in Poyllvaaish 'marble' (1774). It is unclear how many of these features remain intact.

History

The grounds at Ballamooar were laid out by a 'Mr Stephenson from Ireland' for Sir George Moore from 1750 onwards.

Features
  • Wall
  • Description: Roadside walls
  • Sculpture
  • Description: Stone eagles
  • Pineapple Finial
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Sundial
  • Description: Made of Poyllvaaish 'marble'.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Orchard, Mount, Banqueting House
Associated People

Just one person associated to Ballamooar

References

References