Bishopscourt 422

Ballaugh, Isle of Man

Brief Description

Bishopscourt has been an episcopal residence from around 1230. There have been several phases of planting. There were knot gardens and other formal gardens by the 1640s. From about 1700 there was extensive planting around the gardens and through the Bishopscourt Glen. The 'Cave of the Winds' and 'Mount Aeolus' in the glen date from the 1760s. Further planting, an American garden, rockeries and a pool in the glen date from the 1820s. The walled kitchen garden was sold for building land in the late 20th century.

Visitor Facilities

Bishopscourt Glen is now a national resource for public use. http://www.gov.im/daff/countryside/country/Bishopscourt.xml
Features

Plant Environment

  • Woodland Garden
  • Environment
  • Prospect Mound
  • Description: Mount Aeolus was created by Bishop Hildesley.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Structure
  • Description: Cave
  • Garden Seat
  • Description: Carved stone seat in the cave.
Lake
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

Bishopscourt Glen is now a national resource for public use. http://www.gov.im/daff/countryside/country/Bishopscourt.xml

Directions

The site is north of Kirk Michael on the A3.
History

Detailed History

Illustrations held in the British Museum show 17th-century gardens featuring a lawn, clipped box hedges, ornamental beds, an orchard and a Manx sod hedge.
Contact
References

References