Search for the name, locality, period or a feature of a locality. You'll then be taken to a map showing results.

Aston Clinton House and Park (also known as Green Park)


The mansion house at this site has been demolished, with the landscape park being used as a sporting facility. Field fences and sports grounds have been superimposed on the original landscape.

Visitor Access, Directions & Contacts

Access contact details

The estate is used as a residential training centre for young people, operated by Kingswood Learning and Leisure Group.


Buckinghamshire County Council

Walton Street, Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, HP20 1UA

19th Century

In 1851, Anthony Nathan de Rothschild bought the estate from a banker from Aylesbury. By 1853, he had completed the modernisation of Aston Clinton House and extensive estates in the area, with the help of the architect George Henry Stokes and the builder George Myers.

On the death of Lady Louise de Rothschild in 1910, the house was bequeathed to her two daughters, Constance, Lady Battersea and Annie.

20th - 21st Century

In the First World War, like the adjoining Halton House and estate, Aston Clinton House was lent to the War Office, becoming in September 1914 the HQ of 21st Infantry Division.

In 1923, the Rothschilds sold the house to Dr Albert Edward Bredin Crawford for £15,000.

At the beginning of the Second World War the house became the Green Park Hotel, but during the War the stables were used by EKCO, an electronics company from Southend-on-Sea, Essex, as its main headquarters and for radar research and development, and the main house was used as a hospital for war wounded. It had been a boys' prep school (where Evelyn Waugh obtained his second post as a junior master(in 1925)), followed by a further brief spell as a hotel.

The main building was demolished between 1956 and 1958.

Buckinghamshire County Council then acquired the property with the proviso that it be used for educational purposes. Today the estate is used as a residential training centre for young people, operated by Kingswood Learning and Leisure Group.

The original ornamental features of the extended garden still remain, incorporated into the site now called Green Park. All that remain of the buildings of the estate are the stables, used as part of the training centre, and the lodge in Stablebridge Road.

Associated People
Features & Designations


  • Specimen Tree
  • Description: Some ornamental trees remain near the training centre building.
  • Mansion House (featured building)
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Key Information





Principal Building



Part: ground/below ground level remains



Civil Parish

Aston Clinton




  • Buckinghamshire County Museum Archaeological Service