Adderbury House dates from the 17th century; the gardens were altered through the 18th and 19th centuries, the park being landscaped by Lancelot Brown in about 1768. In the 20th century part of the park, including the lakes, was given to Oxfordshire County Council as a public park for the village. The house, which had been a care home for the elderly, is once more in private hands, with part of the original grounds.
Lake, Icehouse, Summerhouse, Hedge, Border, Lawn
- Visitor Access & Directions
Directions3 miles south of Banbury
The house dates from the 17th century, and was extended in 1722. James Gibbs made unexecuted designs for garden buildings for the 2nd Duke of Argyll in about 1725. Roger Morris added arcaded wings, 1731. Sir William Chambers made alterations to the house for the 3rd Duke of Buccleuch about 1768, and the park was landscaped by Lancelot Brown at this time. The house was largely demolished in 1808. In the 19th century, Adderbury House was owned by Major Larnach. When his horse Jeddah won the Derby at 100-1 and also won at Ascot, the Major gifted the building of the Village Institute, which opened in 1898.
- 18th Century
- Associated People