Wyckhill House 6355

Cheltenham, England, Gloucestershire, Cotswold

Brief Description

The gardens and grounds at Wyckhill House Hotel were created from the late-18th century to the end of the 19th century. Lawn terraces, woodland and part of the walled garden survive.

History

By 1802 there was a walled garden and pleasure grounds associated with the late-18th-century house. The grounds were developed over the 19th century. The house was restored in the mid-20th century after a fire and is currently (2008) a hotel.

Features
  • Orangery
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Garden Building
  • Description: Cottage set in walled garden.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • House (featured building)
  • Description: A late 18th-century house with possible earlier 18th-century elements, and early 19th- and early 20th-century additions.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Garden Terrace
  • Description: Grass terraces.
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Wick Rissington
History

Detailed History

Archival evidence surrounding the early history of the house is sketchy and some of it contradictory. By 1802 the house had a walled garden and pleasure grounds. Development periods appear to be additions by William Pilkington for Charles Van Notten Pole in 1812 and 1815, and the addition of the east wing in 1913 by V A Lawson for Robert Byass.

The house is set in an elevated position. The gardens of 1884 show a varied arrangement with informal 18th-century parkland, with a remaining formal view or avenue from the south front, formal gardens to the south of the orangery, a walled garden with a wide range of associated buildings, ornamental woodland walks, terraced lawns to the west of the house and formal and informal gardens immediately around the house.

In 1958 a serious fire destroyed the west end of the house, and it stood empty before being restored in 1962.

Period

  • Late 18th Century
Contact

Telephone

01793 445050

Official Website

Click Here

Other websites

References

References

Contributors

  • Gloucestershire Gardens & Landscape Trust