Wormington Grange 6905

Tewkesbury, England, Gloucestershire, Tewkesbury

Brief Description

Wormington Grange has a series of formal rose gardens leading to informal parkland. There is a stream walk to the lake with islands and a boat house.

History

This is the site of a Grange to Hailes Abbey. There is a south-facing house by Anthony Keck similar to Bowden Hall. A classical extension was added in 1827. The lake survives from this time. About 1921 Sir Edward Guy Dawber demolished a conservatory and designed a loggia and formal garden to the west and south. In the 1930s Norman Jewson designed the gates.

Detailed Description

There is a little formal garden on the western side of the house with a single bay Ionic loggia attached to the south-west corner of the house.

Dawber was also responsible for the layout south of the house though it incorporated an earlier terrace and broad lawn. Low stone walls and dwarf yew hedges delineate a series of grass plats of contrasting shapes.

There is a water garden using the lake's bypass stream on the southern side of the lake.

Features

Style

  • Arts And Crafts
  • House (featured building)
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Loggia, Lake, Plat, Terrace, Boat House, Approach, Stable Block, Belt, Rose Garden, Gate, Gate Piers, Kitchen Garden
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Stanton
History

Detailed History

A grange of Hailes Abbey was split into multiple ownerships in the early 1770s. Nathaniel Jeffreys created the present estate with a house, probably by Anthony Keck, based on his characteristic double bow front. A Bristol merchant, Samuel Gist, bought the estate in 1787. His son, Josiah, commissioned Henry Hakewill to create an eastern extension and stables. It is suspected that Hakewill's chief assistant John Goldicutt was responsible for the design. At the same time as the extension was built in 1826-1828 the lake was configured. The Gist family retained the house until 1905.

In 1920 it was bought by Mr and Mrs H G Clegg who commissioned Sir Edward Guy Dawber to turn a conservatory into a single bay Ionic loggia on the south west corner of the house and make minor changs to the interior. Norman Jewson designed garden gateways with the gates being made by Alfred Bucknell, incorporated sculpture by Alec Miller and stone vases from O Cottle from Brimscombe.

In 1947 Mr Clegg's only daughter Lady Ismay wife of Field Marshall Lord Ismay, K G commisioned Arthur Stanley George Butler to subdivide the property.

Associated People
Contact
References

References

Contributors

  • Gloucestershire Gardens & Landscape Trust

    1