Wisbech Castle 6209

Wisbech, England, Cambridgeshire, Fenland

Brief Description

Features of Wisbech Castle include pleached lime trees and a terrace walk.

History

The present Wisbech Castle was created in the early-19th century.

Visitor Facilities

Wisbech Castle is open as a meeting venue.http://www2.cambridgeshire.gov.uk/db/pressrel.nsf/729e5777b124350980256b560033a513/fe68634632420efa802572d000346a58?OpenDocument

Detailed Description

The garden to the rear of the Castle is below street level and surrounded by evergreen planting, including a Chusan palm. Only one of two oval flower beds remain. Immediately behind the boundary wall are pleached limes. The lower garden allows access to underground vaults beneath the terrace walk, which is at ground level. In Thurloe's time the garden was grander with two curious looking obelisks, said to have replaced earlier monuments to persons buried in the grounds. The Castle was given to the Local Education Authority in 1969 by Mrs Fendick in memory of her husband, who had been the Chief Education Officer for the Isle of Ely.
Features
  • Garden Terrace
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Walk
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Pleached Trees
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Castle (featured building)
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

Wisbech Castle is open as a meeting venue.http://www2.cambridgeshire.gov.uk/db/pressrel.nsf/729e5777b124350980256b560033a513/fe68634632420efa802572d000346a58?OpenDocument
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Wisbech
History

Detailed History

There have been buildings on the site of Wisbech Castle since Norman times. Thurloe's House similar to Thorpe Hall, was demolished in 1816 to make way for the present Castle. The castle is on an oval shaped site surrounded by late Georgian terraced houses in the centre of Wisbech. It was built in 1816 by Joseph Medworth in a Regency style, incorporating a considerable amount of material from Thurloe's Castle.

After Medworth's death the Castle was bought by William Peckover who immediately removed the northern part of Medworth's wall so as to open to the public an ornamental garden, which forms Union Place with a recently placed War Memorial.

References

Contributors

  • Cambridgeshire Gardens Trust