The present house dates from the early-18th-century, much modernised with gardens near the house and within the ramparts. The 'great farm' of over 500 acres is now reduced to the house and 12 acres.
This site is a Manor dating from at least Saxon times. A banked and ditched homestead was built after the Norman Conquest, of which there are archaeological remains. The main house was built in the early-18th century by Sir Frances Popham and extended in the 19th century with 20th-century modernisations.
Detailed DescriptionIn 1979, the Ministry of Defence sold the Manor and it is now in private hands again but only as a house with 12 acres, no longer the great farm. The house, barn and manor cottage are listed Grade II and there is a Tree Preservation Order on all the trees including a mature Cedar of Lebanon.
- Description: Lily pool
- Manor House (featured building)
- Earliest Date:
- Latest Date:
- Specimen Tree
- Description: Mature Cedar of Lebanon.
- Description: Barn
- Description: Manor cottage.
Detailed HistoryThruxton Manor dates from at least Saxon times and extended over more than 500 acres for hundreds of years. After 1066 it was held by Gozelin de Cormeilles and his descendants for about three centuries. During this time a banked and ditched homestead was built, consisting of a square of about 130 yards with projecting mounds at the northern corners. This contained a flat terraced space with a well, evidently the site of the original manor house.
There is evidence of several timbers from a late-medieval frame structure, with some brickwork which may date from the 17th century. However, the main house was built in the early-18th-century by Sir Frances Popham and extended in the 19th century with 20th-century modernisations. There have been many landowners since, including the Trustees of St John's Hospital, Winchester from the 1840s until 1920 and the Ministry of Defence from 1943 to 1979.
The Manor was run as a great farm with many outbuildings, pasture and arable land and woodlands as well as workers' cottages. By the 19th century a walled garden with an orchard existed within the original ramparts as well as a smaller walled garden and a garden near the house with a lawn and shrubbery. The Sales Particulars of 1937 refer to an Estate of 518 acres and describe herbaceous borders, rose border, rock garden, lily pool, summer-house, pergola and so on.