The house and parkland were created about 1800. The estate was developed during the 19th century, with tree planting and cultivation of gardens. By 1918, this was a typical well-maintained country estate noted for landscape scenery, parkland and pleasure grounds. Since then, the estate has been reduced in size and the emphasis has shifted from park to farming, and to the provision for horse riding.
The House and estate still remain in the 21st century but are reduced in size. The focus has shifted to more utilitarian concerns. The park is smaller and farming the land has taken precedence. However, the interest in horse riding as a sporting and outdoor pastime has been maintained as the circular gallop indicates.
- Visitor Access, Directions & Contacts
Hatherden Park came into being at the end of the 18th century, with the building of the house and the creation of a park on its south side. It stood on chalk downland to the east of the village of Hatherden. At first there were farm features behind the house, but these gave way to the development of pleasure grounds. Similarly some farm land was added to the park. Tree planting beautified the park and the two carriage drives. The house was surrounded by shrubs and trees with a formal garden, orchards and stables behind. As such it remained in the ownership of Mr. Alfred Butterworth for over thirty years until World War 1.
- Features & Designations
The National Heritage List for England: Listed Building
- Reference: Hatherden House
- Grade: II
- House (featured building)
- Earliest Date:
- Latest Date:
- Designed Route
- Description: Circular gallop.
- Key Information
Open to the public
Hampshire Gardens Trust