Redenham House 4922

Andover, England, Hampshire, Test Valley

Brief Description

The parkland of the Redenham estate has been designated by Hampshire County Council Environmental Group as having seven Sites of importance for Nature Conservation, comprising ancient and semi-natural woodland. These are managed for commercial forestry, landscaping and rearing game. In front of the house is a simple lawned area separated from the parkland by a modern wooden fence. The garden is divided into separate areas which include a rose garden, a woodland garden, a herbaceous border garden and a herb garden. The site comprises 2.5 hectares of garden, 24 hectares of parkland, 36.5 hectares of woodland and a further 337 hectares of farmland.

History

Over the years some of the land that is now Redenham estate has been held variously as part of other estates, making it difficult to establish its history exactly. A sales indenture of 1701 establishes that there was a house, buildings, gardens and meadows, although the precise position of the house is unknown.

Detailed Description

The parkland of the Redenham estate has been designated by Hampshire County Council Environmental Group as having seven Sites of importance for Nature Conservation, comprising ancient and semi-natural woodland. These are managed for commercial forestry, landscaping and rearing game. To the west of the house is a curving bank that may have been a formal boundary between the parkland and the fields and copses to the north. An aerial photo of the 1970s reveals a ditch which replaced an iron fence between the house and park.

In front of the house is a simple lawned area separated from the parkland by a modern wooden fence. Until the 1920s, this area also contained a circular pond, which is now a sunken area where a large bamboo grows.

The gardens on the north and east sides of the house were mainly re-laid in the 1960s for Mr Kidston, by Lady Clark, a garden designer and the current owner, keeping elements of earlier features. An aerial photograph of 1944 shows the extent of an old kitchen garden with a flint wall and its associated buildings.

The Ordnance Survey 2nd edition 25" map indicates a second, higher, kitchen garden with an orchard and range of buildings. This was turned into a paddock. The rest of the garden is divided into separate areas which include a rose garden, a woodland garden, a herbaceous border garden and a herb garden. A swimming pool garden was also made for Mr Kidston. It is bounded by an old curved cob wall which was originally thatched, and the necessary machinery is housed in a former potting shed. A lime avenue, planted in the 1960s, leads to a tennis court and croquet lawn.

To the west of the mansion is the 16th century Home Farm, also Listed Grade II, and its complex of farm buildings. The stables were re-built in 1913. Barns were built in the 1970s for racehorse breeding, and have since been converted into business units.

Features
  • Pond
  • Description: Until the 1920s, the lawned area in front of the house also contained a circular pond, which is now a sunken area where a large bamboo grows.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Kitchen Garden
  • Description: An aerial photograph of 1944 shows the extent of an old kitchen garden with a flint wall and its associated buildings.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Rose Garden
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • House (featured building)
  • Description: The new house was under construction in 1784. This classical Georgian house is now listed Grade II.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Kitchen Garden
  • Description: The Ordnance Survey 2nd edition 25? map indicates a second, higher, kitchen garden with an orchard and range of buildings. This was turned into a paddock.
  • Planting
  • Description: Woodland garden.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Herbaceous Border
  • Description: Herbaceous border garden.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Planting
  • Description: Herb garden.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Planting
  • Description: A swimming pool garden was also made for Mr Kidston.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Garden Wall
  • Description: The swimming pool garden is bounded by an old curved cob wall which was originally thatched.
  • Tree Avenue
  • Description: A lime avenue, planted in the 1960s, leads to a tennis court and croquet lawn.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Croquet Lawn
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Garden Wall, Orchard, Potting Shed
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Fyfield
History

Detailed History

Over the years some of the land that is now Redenham estate has been held variously as part of other estates, making it difficult to establish its history exactly. A sales indenture of 1701 establishes that there was a house, buildings, gardens and meadows, although the precise position of the house is unknown.

Then in 1784, Henry White, brother of Gilbert White of Selbourne, recorded dining at Redenham and noted that a new house was under construction. This classical Georgian house is now listed Grade II, and the estate covers approximately 400 hectares. 2.5 hectares are garden, 24 hectares parkland, 36.5 hectares woodland and the remainder farmland.

Period

  • Late 18th Century
  • 18th Century
Contact

Telephone

01793 445050

Official Website

Click Here