Sundrum (also known as Sundrum Castle, House of Cathcart)4161

Coylton, Scotland

Brief Description

Sundrum Castle is situated above a tributary of the River Ayr and is part of a larger estate. Elements of mid-18th-century planting features still influence today's landscape.

History

Built for relatives of Sir William Wallace in the mid-14th century, Sundrum Castle became the Cathcart family seat from later that century until the mid-18th century. There were orchards, parkland and woods in the early-18th century but around the middle of the century the estate was linked briefly with neighbouring Auchincruive and the designed landscape expanded and became more complex. Planting features included strips, clumps and mounts.The planting declined after this when the estate was divided and passed through the hands of several owners. It was sold to a hotel syndicate in 1936 and has since been restored by Salopian Estates with help from Historic Scotland.

Features
  • House (featured building)
  • Description: The present house dates from 1792 and incorporates an earlier structure.
Authorities

Electoral Ward

  • Coylton and Minishant
History

Period

  • 16th Century
Contact

Telephone

0131 668 8600

Official Website

Click Here

Other websites

References

References