The building consists of three compartments, the central and largest containing an oak altar and crucifix, with the two smaller compartments on either side being intended for prayer and enclosed with oak doors. Plaques containing the names of those who died are fixed within the central compartment. The shrine was enclosed with iron railings, with a beech hedge planted on three sides. The shrines are reputedly the last two buildings made of the stone from the Binstead quarries on the Isle of Wight.
The Shrine was built in 1917-18 by landowner John Willis Fleming as a war memorial to his son Richard and the other 36 men of North Stoneham parish who died in the Great War. The Shrine was sited on Cricketers Hill in historic North Stoneham Park, a 1000-acre parkland dating back to Saxon times and designed by 'Capability' Brown in the 18th century. The Shrine was one of an identical pair, the other being at Havenstreet on the Isle of Wight.The original design sketch is attributed to Chris Hatton Turner (1873-1940), designer of the Watts Gallery in Surrey. Some decorative work has been ascribed to Eric Gill (1882-1940). The Shrine was dedicated on 28 July by the Bishop of Southampton. By 2005 the shrine was in a derelict state and unroofed. In 2008 an award of £50,000 by the Heritage Lottery Fund made its restoration possible.
- Eastleigh Central
- Early 20th Century
Hampshire Gardens Trust