Stanwick Park 3063

Stanwick St. John, North Yorkshire, England, North Yorkshire, Richmondshire

Brief Description

Stanwick Park is a relict landscape park. Stanwick Hall has been demolished. Surviving features include park lodges, a lake and three icehouses.

History

Stanwick Hall was rebuilt between 1739 to 1740. The park dates largely from the 18th century. Daniel Garrett reused the prehistoric ramparts as terracing in 1745. Decimus Burton made alterations between 1839 to 1842. These included a new greenhouse and conservatory. The estate was sold in 1922 and the hall demolished in 1923.

Features
  • Lake
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Icehouse
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Icehouse
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Icehouse
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Gate Lodge
  • Description: North lodge.
  • Gate Lodge
  • Description: South lodge.
  • Gate Lodge
  • Description: Carlton lodge.
  • Gate Lodge
  • Description: Church lodge.
  • Gate Lodge
  • Description: Outer lodge.
  • Garden House
  • Description: The head gardeners house.
  • Garden Seat
  • Description: A summer seat created by the Dowager Duchess Eleanor of Northumberland.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Stanwick St. John
History

Detailed History

Stanwick Hall was rebuilt in the Palladian style between 1739 and 1740 by the 1st Duke of Northumberland. Stanwick Hall was a second residence to the main seat of Alnwick Castle in Northumberland.

During World War 1 the hall became a military hospital. In 1918 the 7th Duke of Northumberland died and the death duties were so large that the estate was sold in 1922. In 1923 the hall was demolished.

Period

  • 18th Century
Associated People
Contact

Telephone

01793 414700

Official Website

Click Here