The site has an 18th-century deer park and gardens, now a country park. The house is now in separate ownership from the original estate.
The maps show clear evidence of a history going back at least as far as the 18th century, with a deer park to the west of the house.
Detailed Description2003 estate agents' particulars state that St Leonard's Park is set in St Leonard's Forest, originally called Andredeswald (Saxon) and was mentioned in the Venerable Bede's chronicles as an impenetrable place, the haunt of deer, wolves and wild boar. The Roman era saw great iron workings developed and it became a Royal forest. There are many magnificent trees, with a huge rhododendron in the garden of St Leonard's Park.
The house has now been divided into separate residences. Noted in the description are walls and steps, yew hedging and stone terrace. The grounds are part private and part communal.
- House (featured building)
- Description: Nairn and Pevsner mention the house as dating from around 1840 in the classical style with an earlier 18th-century centre which may have been designed by John Johnson.
- Earliest Date:
- Latest Date:
Detailed HistoryThe maps show clear evidence of a history going back at least as far as the 18th century, with a deer park to the west of the house, a string of ponds (one named Stew Pond which would give an indication to much earlier occupancy). The Gardner and Gream map shows what could be extensive formal gardens in the park to the west of the house but the map is not easy to decipher. In the later 1879 map, gardens are shown around the house but do not look to be particularly extensive. There are three main drives or rides shown on the 1879 Ordnance Survey map. These are to the south, west, and east, all showing a link with the formality of earlier gardens, providing vistas for considerable distances. Avenues of trees are shown more clearly on the 1961 Ordnance Survey maps.
Nairn and Pevsner mention the house as dating from around 1840 in the classical style with an earlier 18th-century centre which may have been designed by John Johnson.
In 1868 the estate was owned by Robert Aldridge who also owned much of St Leonard's Forest.
- 18th Century