Sandridge is a country house in landscaped grounds, hidden away above the east bank of the river Dart. The house is stuccoed, with deep eaves. It is an excellent example of Nash's informal villa rustica style.
Sandridge was built in 1805 by John Nash for the widowed Lady Ashburton, near the site of Captain John Davis' house of the 16th century.
Detailed DescriptionPicturesque effects are achieved with a minimum of features. The curved tower acts as a foil both to the stockier square tower over the original entrance, and to the more fanciful ogee-spired turret over the service wing at the back. The impression is of a distant architectural composition in a Claude painting.
To the right the arrangement is not original, for Nash's long conservatory has gone. White (1850) noted that it was ‘a large and beautiful mansion . . but is now unoccupied'. Stockdale described it as ‘an elegant mansion very delightfully situated and the sundry demesne fairly wooded'.
- House (featured building)
- Description: The house is in informal villa rustica style.
- Earliest Date:
- Latest Date:
- Stoke Gabriel
Sandridge is a country house in landscaped grounds, hidden away above the east bank of the river Dart. It was built in 1805 by John Nash for the widowed Lady Ashburton, near the site of Captain John Davis' house of the 16th century. It is an excellent example of his informal villa rustica style, and is stuccoed, with deep eaves. The rounded bay at one end carried up as a tower, with three oeil-de-beouf top windows, is very reminiscent of his slightly earlier Cronkhill in Shropshire.
- 18th Century
- Associated People