Search for the name, locality, period or a feature of a locality. You'll then be taken to a map showing results.

Plas Newydd, Llandwrog

Pgds 20080911 151956 Dscn0406P

Introduction

A Grade II* Listed Building in Llandwrog, Gwynedd. The site has gardens, park and woodland associated with domestic and farm buildings.

Location, Area, Boundaries, Landform and Setting

Situated in sheltered parkland position near the Afon Llifon, the house is moated on 3 sides with a stone bridge on the north-west side; surrounding garden with stone walls.

Plas Newydd is an early seventeenth century mansion. Subsumed into Glynllifon Park (NPRN 86377) in the 1830s, it was derelict by the end of the century. It was largely restored in about 1900, when the garden enclosure and service range were constructed. The house would presumably have been a subsidiary dwelling in the park, or else a very elaborate summer house.

Principal Building

A three storey house with attics and a cellar. The walls are of stone rubble, sometimes rendered, under a modern slate gabled roof. The transomed and mullioned windows are largely original.

The house faced north-east where is a two storey porch and a massive projecting chimney stack. The doorway gave onto a passage between the hall and service rooms or parlours, with a full height staircase wing opening off the far end. This may have been added. The first floor would have contained the Great Chamber and retains some heavily restored original panelling, as does the upper storey, although this might be re-set. There are graven and moulded armorial bearing over the first and second floor fireplaces, dated 1637 and 1632 respectively.

Between 1889 & 1900 a portico and projecting stair was added to the stair wing, depicted on the OS County series 2nd edition (Caernarvon. XX.7 1900), effectively reversing the house. The 3rd edition of 1918 shows the house enclosed in a rectangular walled court, with a moat crossed by bridges about the eastern side. The service wing of 1900 encloses two sides of a yard on the north-east side. None of these features are shown on the earlier editions. Balled yews were planted along the moat.

Sources

RCAHMW Caernarvonshire Inventory II (1960), 183-4 No. 1199 fig 122
CADW Listed Buildings Database (3683)
Register of Parks & Gardens in Wales, 210-11
John Wiles, RCAHMW, 28 June 2007

Visitor Access, Directions & Contacts
History

Tenanted during the C18, the house was included within Glynllifon Park when this was enlarged in the 1820s. By the end of the C19 Plas Newydd had been reduced to ruins and c1900 it was extensively repaired by F G Wynne.

Features & Designations

Designations

  • CADW Register of Landscapes Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in Wales

  • Reference: PGW(Gd)39(GWY)
  • Grade: I
  • CADW Register of Listed Buildings in Wales

  • Reference: grotto
  • Grade: II

Features

  • Topiary
  • Garden Wall
  • Grotto
  • Moat
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Lake
  • River
Key Information

Type

Country Estate

Purpose

Ornamental

Survival

Extant

References

References