This is the site of a moated medieval castle and fishponds situated north of Moorend Road. It survives as a wooded island surrounded by ditches and a pond.
Thomas de Ferrars was granted a licence to crenellate his house, La Morende, and impark land and wood in the mid-14th century. The manor passed to the Crown in 1363 after which a great deal of building work was done, including a chapel and towers. The history of the site after the 15th century is uncertain. In the mid-19th century the castle foundations were dug up for stone. The site was altered to form a pond with an island during the mid-20th century.
Detailed DescriptionThe excavations for stone on the site in about 1852 revealed the foundations of a rectangular building with thick walls and towers at each corner.
- Description: A probable medieval fishpond associated with the manor.
- Description: Earthwork remains of two building platforms possibly associated with the castle complex.
- Yardley Gobion
- Medieval (1066-1540)