The large, landscaped Markeaton Park once housed the now demolished Munday mansion. Today, Markeaton is a municipal park but remains of the formal gardens and outhouses can be seen.
When Markeaton Park made its first appearance in William the Conqueror's Doomsday book, it was a deer park and home to the Earl of Chester. In 1516, the Munday family bought the land. They not only rebuilt Markeaton Hall in 1755, with the aid of Derby architect James Denstone, but also transformed the deer park into a landscape park. During the years between World War 1 and World War 2, Markeaton Park, including the Hall, was purchased by the council. The Hall was demolished in 1964.
Visitor FacilitiesThis is a municipal site for general public use. Please see: http://www.derby.gov.uk/LeisureCulture/ParksRecreation/Markeaton+Park+Page.htm More information
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThis is a municipal site for general public use. Please see: http://www.derby.gov.uk/LeisureCulture/ParksRecreation/Markeaton+Park+Page.htm
- 16th Century