Darley Park was the site of a monastic institution dating from 1137, the house of Augustinian Canons. The building is now demolished, but some remains of the formal gardens and outhouses, as well as landscaped park, are evident.
The building of the Abbey at Darley Park began in the late-12th-century, but much of what is seen at the Park today are the designs of the landscaper William Emes. Emes landscaped the park between 1777-1778. By this time a Georgian Manor stood in place of the monastic institution.In 1835 the property became home to Samuel Evans, remaining within his family until 1929. The successive owners, the Curtis family, awarded ownership of the property and surrounding area to the town. The Manor was demolished in 1962.
Visitor FacilitiesThis is a municipal site for general public use. Please see: http://www.derby.gov.uk/LeisureCulture/ParksRecreation/Darley+Park+Page.htm
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThis is a municipal site for general public use. Please see: http://www.derby.gov.uk/LeisureCulture/ParksRecreation/Darley+Park+Page.htm
- Medieval (1066-1540)
- 12th Century
- Associated People