There are three walled formal gardens dating from the early-20th century. One is a kitchen garden (recorded as a separate component area).
The gardens were laid out by G.H. Kitchen for the Countess of Westmoreland in 1927.
Detailed HistoryG. H. Kitchin designed the formal gardens in the walled kitchen garden area, adding the fine gate piers in the north wall. A loggia and lily pool were also added. The piers in the west wall were probably brought to Lygrove from Little Sodbury Manor in the 19th century.
A summerhouse was moved from the end of the terrace at the southern end of the house to its present site. This area was completed after World War 2 by the Countess.
There appears to have been a great deal of collaboration between the architect, G.H. Kitchin and the artist-plantsman, Diana, Countess of Westmoreland. This has resulted in a fine harmony between plants and buildings. Much of this planting remains and was considerably restored by Mr. Christopher Selmes, who owned the house at the time of the last survey in 1986. At this time a third formal garden was being created in the last of the kitchen gardens to the south.
- Early 20th Century (1901-1932)
- Associated People
Avon Gardens Trust