Linda Vista Gardens 6731

Abergavenny, Wales

Pgds 20091017 163959 Linda Vista1

Brief Description

Linda Vista Gardens is a well-preserved and richly-planted urban public park with origins as a private garden. This is demonstrated in the intricate layout of the formal part of the garden, and in the exceptional quality and variety of the planting, which includes unusual specimen trees and shrubs.

History

The garden was the private garden of Linda Vista villa which was built in 1875. It changed ownership in 1901, and again in 1925 when it was acquired by the Whitehead family who also owned a steelworks at Ebbw Vale. In 1957 they sold the garden to the Abergavenny Corporation for use as a public park. After this, the District Council added further land to the west and south (Castle Meadows) which extended the garden.

Visitor Facilities

This is a municipal site for general public use.
Features
  • Rockery
  • Description: The rockery has a network of narrow paths and is planted mainly with heathers.
  • Rose Garden
  • Description: The rose garden is a semi-circular area with a radiating pattern of box edged beds. Paths are of grass, or squared concrete paving. It lies on the slope to the south-west of the house at the west end of the grass terrace.
  • Cascade
  • Description: The cascade down stone steps through the rockery leads to a semi-circular pool with concrete lining.
  • Specimen Tree
  • Description: There are many fine specimen trees, including a Pawlownia tomentosa, Robinia pseudoacacia, London Plane and Dawn Redwood.
  • Villa (featured building)
  • Description: A three storey Victorian Villa built of stone with painted dressings. It overlooks the garden and the meadow adjoining the river Usk.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

This is a municipal site for general public use.

Directions

The park is just ouside the medieval town wall and approached off Tudor Street.
References

References