Knypersley Hall 4863

Staffordshire Moorlands, Staffs, England, Staffordshire, Staffordshire Moorlands

Brief Description

The grounds of Knypersley Hall are now a country park. The 19th-century formal garden remains, and there are remains of a pool and rockwork. The kitchen garden is in use as a garden centre.

History

The park was the first major commission undertaken by John Bateman in the 19th century. It is situated on a medieval estate with continuity of ownership.

Detailed Description

The hall is a Grade II* listed building in private ownership. It has been sub-divided into residential apartments. The Grade II-listed Coach House and stable blocks also remain, and have also been converted for domestic use.

The site itself is now a country park, but the formal garden survives only in poor condition. The large kitchen garden is now in use as a garden centre. Nonetheless, the pool and rockwork are still evident. Coach house and stable block still stand (1999).

The gardens are significant as the earliest example of John Bateman's work.

Features
  • Pond
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Kitchen Garden
  • Description: The large kitchen garden is now in use as a garden centre.
  • Stable Block
  • Description: The coach house and stable block remain.
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Biddulph
History

Detailed History

Knypersley Manor was the country seat of the de Knypersley, Bowyer, and Gresley families.

In the 18th century the Bowyers took down the old manor house, replacing it with a substantial mansion of three storeys and seven bays. Some degree of remodelling was undertaken around 1847, including the removal of the upper storey.

In about 1809, the Gresley family sold the estate to John Bateman (the celebrated horticulturist). Bateman started to work on the gardens but in the early 1840s he moved on to bigger things, designing the estate at nearby Biddulph Grange.

References

References