Jarvis' Charity is a group of school, almshouse and residential buildings around a communal space of gardens and playground built in the mid-19th century from the funds left by the benefactor George Jarvis.
The complex of buildings and gardens was completed in 1860. The school was at first private, but is now the village primary school.
- Access & Directions
DirectionsNine miles west of Hereford via the A438.
- Staunton on Wye
George Jarvis (1704-1793) was a successful London businessman who left his fortune of £30,000 to his home village of Staunton-on-Wye as a charity for the poor. The sum was so large that the interest constantly outstripped the expenditure, so that by 1850 the capital had grown to £100,000.
In an effort to resolve the situation, the trustees decided to commission a group of buildings - school, almshouses and housing for staff - around a communal garden and playground. Jarvis's gift stated that the money was not to be spent on buildings, so an Act of Parliament was required to vary the terms.
The resulting buildings were completed in 1860 to the design of Fulljames and Waller of Gloucester.
The school functioned as a boarding school, but later became the village primary school. The grounds functioned as ornamental and recreational gardens, and are now full of mature trees.
- Mid 19th Century