Itchenor Park House 5757

Chichester, Sussex,, England, West Sussex, Chichester

Brief Description

The garden surrounding the late-18th century house is formal on the south side and informal on the north. Features include lines of chestnut trees, a pond and several large evergreen oaks. The house is now a bed and breakfast.

History

There is a building visible on a map of 1778, so a garden may have existed before the third Duke of Richmond bought the site, laid out the garden and planted the cedars in 1783.

Terrain

Flat

Detailed Description

The site is flat. The cedar trees and the curving drive have vanished but the pond near the farm buildings is still there. The present garden is informal on the north side and more formal on the south side. There is a square lawn in front of the house. There are lines of chestnut trees and several large evergreen oaks.

The Ordnance Survey maps of 1898, 1912 and 1933 are very similar and no cedar trees are marked. Cedar trees are marked on the Ordnance Survey map of 1874. Other maps include a sale map of 1876 and an estate map of 1839.

The sale particulars of 1876 describe the house as a commodious residence, with a lawn, pleasure grounds, gardens, stabling, coach house and prettily timbered park sloping to the shore. There were fine cedars and other trees, a good kitchen garden and a well-timberred park.

Arable fields surrounded the garden. Beyond the field to the north, the open park was sparsely-timbered and there was a pond. To the north-west, birch copses led down to the creek and mud flats of the harbour.

Features
  • House (featured building)
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Tree Feature
  • Description: Lines of chestnut trees.
  • Specimen Tree
  • Description: Large evergreen oaks.
Pond, Stable Block
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • West Itchenor
History

Detailed History

There is a building visible on a map of 1778, so a garden may have existed before the third Duke of Richmond bought the site, laid out the garden and planted the cedars in 1783.

The house was probably designed by James Wyatt. It was built as a yachting lodge and to accomodate the staff of the racing stables. These survive to the east of the house and are described on the maps as farm buildings.

An unknown source calls the farm building the indoor riding school. The Duke's coat of arms is on the west wall. The same source states that the house resembles Admiralty House in Portsmouth by Samuel Wyatt.

In 1764, the third Duke of Richmond bought from nurseryman, Peter Colinson, a thousand four-year-old cedars of Lebanon for the park at Goodwood. In 1762, he had written enquiring about procuring cores of cedar of Lebanon. There are about ninety cedars at Goodwood now.

Henrietta le Clerc was the Duke's daughter by Madame de Cambis. After the Duke's death in 1806 she inherited a life interest in Itchenor Park where she lived with her husband John Dorien.

The estate was sold by the sixth Duke in 1876.

Period

  • Late 18th Century
  • 18th Century
Associated People

Just one person associated to Itchenor Park House

References

References

Contributors

  • Patience Ewart Smith

    1

  • Sussex Gardens Trust