Chidmere House 5277

Chichester, West Sussex, England, West Sussex, Chichester

Brief Description

Long vistas give access to a number of separate formal gardens enclosed by hornbeam hedges or old walls and ornamented by statues and urns. There is a fine display of daffodils in the orchard and woodland. There is a conservatory on the edge of the lake and there are fine specimen trees and shrubs. The gardens are part of the National Gardens Scheme.

History

In 1930 the six acre site of a decayed farmyard, field and orchard was purchased by Hugo Baxendale. He created the garden between 1930 and 1936 around the Tudor farmhouse which he also restored.

Detailed Description

To the south is the 5.5 acre lake (the mere) which is a nature reserve under the management of the Sussex Wildlife Trust. Mr Baxendale was influenced by the design of Hidcote so that it may be assumed that he was acquainted with Lawrence Johnston.

In the Country Life article by Arthur Hellyer, he writes that is was a plantsman's garden. This was not the whole story. Hugo Baxendale included ‘architectural features to create a garden that is quite as memorable for its design as for its plants'.

The yew and hornbeam hedges were planted in 1931 to create enclosures, a bowling alley, a bamboo garden, lawns from the house sweeping down to the lake, statues purchased in 1867 at the Paris Exhibition and a woodland garden. The statues were part of a set purchased by Joseph Baxendale for the gardens of Woodside House, Middlesex. They were later taken to Greenham Lodge in Berkshire from whence they were moved to Chidmere in 1947. There is also a walled garden with a lawn used for croquet and a wide herbaceous border.

Long vistas give access to a number of separate formal gardens enclosed by hornbeam hedges or old walls and ornamented by statues and urns. There is a fine display of daffodils in the orchard and woodland. There is a conservatory on the edge of the lake and there are fine specimen trees and shrubs. Alterations in 1975 by the present owner, Thomas Baxendale, simplied the area to the north of the garden.

Features
  • House (featured building)
  • Description: The house was restored in the 1930s.
  • Lake
  • Description: To the south is the 5.5 acre lake (the mere) which is a nature reserve under the management of the Sussex Wildlife Trust.
  • Hedge
  • Description: The yew and hornbeam hedges were planted in 1931 to create enclosures
  • Statue
  • Description: There are statues purchased in 1867 at the Paris Exhibition. The statues were part of a set purchased by Joseph Baxendale for the gardens of Woodside House, Middlesex. They were later taken to Greenham Lodge in Berkshire from whence they were moved to Chidmere in 1947.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Planting
  • Description: There is also a walled garden with a lawn used for croquet and a wide herbaceous border.
  • Specimen Tree
  • Description: There are fine specimen trees and shrubs.
Orchard, Conservatory
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Chidham
History

Detailed History

In 1930 the six acre site of a decayed farmyard, field and orchard was purchased by Hugo Baxendale. He created the garden between 1930 and 1936 around the Tudor farmhouse which he also restored. It has been open for the National Gardens Scheme Yellow Book for many years.