Hyde Park, Greater Manchester 6415

Tameside, Greater Manchester, England, Greater Manchester

Brief Description

Hyde Park had a house and grounds, but is now a public park to the east of Park Road. There were open fields to the southern boundary, with Clarendon Road beyond. There is a railway along the north-eastern boundary, and a housing development off Lodge Lane to the north-west. The lodge is on Park Road. The site was originally part of the Newton Lodge estate, which was purchased by James Ashton in around 1620. The house is roughly in the centre of the site. There is a pleasure ground, with the site sloping down to a stream running through woods along the southern boundary. The site remains extant, and the path system has been greatly extended.

History

The site was offered to the Borough of Hyde by Eveline Mary and Amy Elizabeth Ashton, daughters of Charles James Ashton, in 1902. It was opened as a public park on 21 May 1904. Features include a tennis court and bowling green. A new art gallery replaced Newton Lodge in 1939. This was built with a donation of £6,000 given by Sir John Bayley.

Visitor Facilities

This is a municipal site for general public use. Please see: http://www.tameside.gov.uk/parks
Features
  • House (featured building)
  • Description: The site was originally part of the Newton Lodge estate, which was purchased by James Ashton in around 1620. The house is roughly in the centre of the site.
  • Latest Date:
  • Path
  • Description: The path system has been greatly extended.
  • Garden Building
  • Description: A new art gallery replaced Newton Lodge in 1939. This was built with a donation of #6,000 given by Sir John Bayley.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Bowling Green
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

This is a municipal site for general public use. Please see: http://www.tameside.gov.uk/parks
Authorities

Electoral Ward

  • Hyde Newton
History

Period

  • Early 20th Century
References

References

Contributors

  • Cheshire Gardens Trust

  • Greater Manchester Archaeological Unit