Gorse Hall 6387

Tameside, Greater Manchester, England, Greater Manchester

Brief Description

Gorse Hall had a hall in grounds on the southern edge of Stalybridge. There were fields to the west and south, and some development to the east. Features include a long drive curving round from High Street through a small park. The hall and pleasure ground was surrounded by woodland with a path system. There was a roughly rectangular block of woodland to the south. Hunters Tower, a castellated structure, was built in this area by Francis Dukinfield Astley and opened 27th February 1807. There was also a rifle range. The area of parkland to the south was linked by a footpath to Yew Tree Lane, and may be part of the site. There was a reservoir on a roughly oval area with a path system to the south of the productive garden. The function of this and its relationship to the hall is unknown. The site survives in part. The hall has been demolished and the drive was formalised as Gorse Hall Drive. The grounds are shown as open, with a partly-wooded area and the remnants of a path system marked as tracks.

Features
  • House (featured building)
  • Now Demolished
  • Description: The hall was built for John Leech in the 19th century. It replaced Old Gorse Hall which was then used as cottages.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Drive
  • Description: Features include a long drive curving round from High Street through a small park. The drive was formalised as Gorse Hall Drive.
  • Path
  • Description: The hall and pleasure ground was surrounded by woodland with a path system.
  • Tower
  • Description: Hunters Tower, a castellated structure, was built in this area by Francis Dukinfield Astley and opened 27th February 1807.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
References

References

Contributors

  • Cheshire Gardens Trust

  • Greater Manchester Archaeological Unit