The Homend was rebuilt in 1814-1821 to the design of Sir Robert Smirke, incorporating parts of earlier buildings. A park was laid out to the north-west with informal tree-planting and a lodge. There is a kitchen garden near the house.
In about 1703 the existing half-timbered house was extended with a brick structure. The house was remodelled from 1814-21 by Sir Robert Smirke, and the park dates from the same period.
Gate Lodge, Kitchen Garden
- Access & Directions
DirectionsSix miles north-west of Ledbury via the A438, the A417 and a minor road.
In about 1703 the estate was bought by Richard Poole, who extended the existing half-timbered house with a brick range. There does not appear to have been a park.
From 1814-1821 the house was remodelled with a neoclassical entrance front by Sir Robert Smirke for Edward Poole.
The park appears to date from this time. A lodge was added by John Nash's office, probably to the design of George Stanley Repton.
- Associated People