Hilston Park 1743

Crossway, Wales

Brief Description

Hilston Park is a 19th-century park and garden with some well-preserved features including an ornamental lake and a folly tower.

History

There has been a house on the site since the 16th century. The Needhams owned the estate in the 17th and 18th centuries. After a fire in 1838 the house was rebuilt by Mr Cave who also laid out the park and garden. In the mid-20th century Hilston became a school and is currently an outdoor education centre.

Features
  • Tower
  • Description: A circular stone tower which may predate the laying out of the park in the mid-19th century.
  • Ornamental Lake
  • Description: A sinuous artificial lake in the pleasure garden with two islands, both planted with trees and shrubs.
  • House (featured building)
  • Description: The original house, whose origins went back to the 16th century, burnt down in 1838. Mr Cave built a new house in Palladian style.
  • Earliest Date:
History

Period

  • Victorian (1837-1901)
Contact
References

References